Is Split Leaf Philodendron Toxic to Cats? A Quick Guide

Disclosure: As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.

Please note that while we always strive to provide 100% up to date and accurate information, there is always the small possibility of error. Therefore, we advise conducting further research and due diligence before consuming any plants or exposing pets to anything mentioned on this site. Kindly refer to the full disclaimer for more details here.

Many people adore the beauty of houseplants, but not all of them are safe for our furry friends. Among the most popular houseplants is the split leaf philodendron, known for its large, lush leaves and ability to thrive indoors. However, if you are a cat owner, it’s essential to know whether these plants can potentially pose a risk to your beloved pet’s health.

Split leaf philodendron, which actually belongs to the genus Monstera and not Philodendron, is indeed toxic to cats. This is due to the presence of insoluble calcium oxalate crystals found in various parts of the plant, particularly the leaves and stems. When ingested or chewed on, these crystals can cause tissue penetration and gastrointestinal discomfort in your feline friend.

As a responsible cat owner, it’s crucial to be aware of such hazards and take necessary precautions. Ensuring that your split leaf philodendrons are out of reach or opting for safer, non-toxic plants can help protect your cat from potential harm.

What Is a Split Leaf Philodendron?

Split leaf philodendron, belonging to the Araceae family, is a low-maintenance tropical plant known for its large, uniquely shaped leaves. These leaves have a glossy, deep green appearance and often feature striking splits around their edges. It’s important to note that the split leaf philodendron is different from the Monstera deliciosa, commonly referred to as the Swiss cheese plant, despite bearing some resemblance to it.

When it comes to care and adaptability, split leaf philodendrons can thrive in a wide range of lighting conditions. As indoor plants, they enjoy bright indirect light throughout the day and can even tolerate some direct morning sun. If you come across these plants in their native habitat, you’ll find that they can grow in full sun when temperatures are moderate.

The massive leaves of the split leaf philodendron create a fun, tropical atmosphere in any space, whether at home or in commercial settings. Due to their sizable presence, these plants can lend a sense of lushness and drama to atriums or other open spaces, though they can be challenging in smaller homes if they grow too large. However, it’s worth mentioning that low light and over-watering can result in smaller leaves with fewer or no lobes.

As a striking addition to any houseplant collection, the split leaf philodendron offers an easy-care option for those looking to bring a touch of the tropics indoors. Just remember to provide adequate light, humidity, and care to keep your split leaf philodendron happy and thriving.

Toxicity to Cats

Toxic Compounds

Split leaf philodendrons are indeed toxic to cats. The primary toxic compound found in these plants is known as insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. These needle-like crystals can cause irritation and damage to a cat’s mouth, throat, and digestive system if ingested.

Symptoms of Poisoning

If a cat consumes a part of a split leaf philodendron, the following symptoms may occur:

  • Oral irritation: Inflammation and burning sensation in the mouth, tongue, and lips
  • Hoarseness: Difficulty vocalizing due to throat irritation
  • Excessive drooling: Increased production of saliva due to mouth irritation
  • Foaming at the mouth: Formation of foam around the mouth as a result of excessive drooling
  • Pawing at the mouth: A sign of discomfort and an attempt to relieve irritation
  • Difficulty swallowing: Swelling and pain making swallowing challenging
  • Vomiting: If the cat manages to swallow the crystals, it may induce vomiting
  • Choking and swelling of the tongue: The crystals may cause obstruction and inflammation in the mouth and throat

Split leaf philodendron poisoning can lead to dehydration and gastro-intestinal upsets if not treated. The toxicity level is considered to be mild to moderate for cats. It’s crucial to take your cat to the vet immediately if you suspect ingestion, as timely intervention can help prevent any serious complications.

Treatment and Prevention

Immediate Actions

If you suspect your cat has ingested a split leaf philodendron, it’s essential to act quickly. First, gently rinse your cat’s mouth with milk or water to help alleviate excessive drooling and provide relief from the irritation caused by calcium oxalate crystals. Keep an eye on your cat and monitor it for any signs of discomfort, such as difficulty swallowing or vomiting.

Veterinary Care

After you have taken immediate actions, promptly consult with your veterinarian or an emergency clinic. The vet may administer pain medications, medication to reduce swelling, and medication to help bind additional plant material still in the gastrointestinal tract. Your cat may also need intravenous fluids and nutritional support until they feel comfortable enough to eat on their own.

Another potential treatment is giving plain yogurt, as it helps soothe the burning sensation from the embedded calcium oxalate crystals in your cat’s mouth and face. However, it’s crucial to consult with your veterinarian before administering yogurt or any other treatment.

Preventing Exposure

The best way to protect your cat from the toxic effects of split leaf philodendrons is to prevent their exposure to these plants. Here are a few steps you can take:

  • Remove any split leaf philodendron plants from your home, or place them out of reach for your cat.
  • Regularly inspect your cat’s environment for any potentially toxic plants or harmful objects.
  • Educate yourself on other toxic plants and ensure your cat cannot access them.
  • Consider creating a designated safe area for your cat to explore or play within to minimize their exposure to potentially harmful substances.

By taking immediate action, seeking veterinary care, and implementing preventive measures, you can protect your cat from split leaf philodendron toxicity and help ensure their well-being.

Non-Toxic Alternatives for Cat Owners

If you’re a cat owner looking for safe plants for your feline friends, you’ll be glad to know there are many non-toxic alternatives available. These plants can add a touch of greenery and color to your home without posing a risk to your cat’s health.

One popular cat-safe plant is the Spider Plant. It’s an easy-to-grow, air-purifying plant with attractive arching leaves. Spider Plants are low-maintenance and can be placed in hanging baskets or pots on shelves.

Another option is the Boston Fern. A typical houseplant, it thrives in humidity and indirect light. It’s a great choice for adorning your bathroom or creating a mini indoor jungle, providing both aesthetic value and cat-safe greenery.

Cat owners might also consider the Areca Palm, a popular indoor plant known for its air-purifying abilities. The Areca Palm requires moderate sunlight and watering, making it a manageable choice for pet-friendly households.

Indoor herb gardens can be both functional and pet-safe. For instance, cats can safely nibble on Catnip and Lemongrass. Both herbs do well indoors, are easy to maintain, and provide fresh, pesticide-free treats for your cat.

To summarize, here’s a list of some popular non-toxic plants for cat owners:

  • Spider Plant
  • Boston Fern
  • Areca Palm
  • Catnip
  • Lemongrass

There are plenty of other safe plant alternatives available, so don’t be disheartened if you need to avoid specific toxic plant species like the Split Leaf Philodendron. With some research and patience, you’ll be able to create the perfect balance between your love for plants and your passion for keeping your furry friends safe and healthy indoors.


Split leaf philodendron, also known as saddle leaf philodendron, can be toxic to cats due to the presence of insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. Once ingested, these crystals can cause tissue penetration and discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract.

Although the toxicity level in philodendron plants is considered mild to moderate, it is essential to keep these plants away from your cats. Chewing or biting on the plant will release the crystals, resulting in symptoms such as:

  • Oral pain and irritation
  • Blisters in the mouth
  • Swelling of the lips, tongue, and other parts of the mouth
  • Excessive drooling
  • Difficulty swallowing

These symptoms can lead to dehydration and gastrointestinal upsets, which may become dangerous if left untreated. If you suspect that your cat has ingested a split leaf philodendron, it is crucial to seek veterinary assistance immediately.

To ensure your cat’s safety, it is best to avoid keeping split leaf philodendrons or any toxic plants within your home or garden. There are many cat-friendly alternatives available, which can provide both beauty and safety for your feline friend. By taking these precautions, you can create a harmonious environment for both you and your cat while enjoying the benefits of indoor plants.

Helpful Video