Is Philodendron Pertusum Toxic to Cats? Facts to Know

Disclosure: As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.

Please note that while we always strive to provide 100% up to date and accurate information, there is always the small possibility of error. Therefore, we advise conducting further research and due diligence before consuming any plants or exposing pets to anything mentioned on this site. Kindly refer to the full disclaimer for more details here.

Sharing is caring!

Philodendron Pertusum, commonly known as Monstera Deliciosa or Swiss Cheese Plant, is a popular houseplant known for its unique, large, and perforated leaves. While these plants provide an attractive addition to your home decor, it is essential to know their possible impact on your beloved pets, particularly if you share your space with cats.

Unfortunately, this plant has been found to be toxic to cats and other animals like dogs, horses, and birds. The reason for their toxicity lies in the presence of insoluble calcium oxalate crystals found in all parts of the plant. When ingested by cats, these crystals can cause oral irritation, pain, and swelling of the mouth, tongue, and lips, leading to excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

It is crucial for cat owners to be aware of the potential hazards of Philodendron Pertusum and take preventive measures to ensure their feline companions remain safe and healthy. Keep an eye on your cat’s behavior and contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has come into contact with this toxic plant.

Philodendron Pertusum Overview

Philodendron Pertusum is an attractive indoor plant belonging to the family Araceae, which consists of approximately 450 species. Originally from tropical America, these plants are climbers and epiphytes in their natural habitat, providing lavish foliage and beauty. This variety has unique features and care requirements that distinguish it from other species.

When grown indoors, Philodendron Pertusum requires a specific environment to thrive. With a temperature preference between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit, they enjoy moderate to warm climate conditions. Although they can handle higher temperatures, it’s essential to provide them with optimal conditions for steady growth.

Several important factors contribute to the overall care of Philodendron Pertusum:

  • Light: They need bright, indirect light to maintain their vibrant appearance.
  • Water: Moderate and consistent watering is necessary to keep the soil moist, but not soggy.
  • Support: As climbers by nature, they require vertical support, such as bamboo sticks or moss poles, to avoid drooping.

An essential aspect of Philodendron Pertusum care is understanding its potential toxicity. It is crucial to know that these plants are toxic to cats, as well as to dogs and horses. Their toxicity comes from insoluble calcium oxalates, which can cause oral irritation, pain, swelling in the mouth, tongue, and lips; it can also lead to excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. To ensure the safety of pets, it’s important to keep Philodendron Pertusum out of their reach.

Toxicity to Cats

Symptoms of Poisoning

Philodendron pertusum, also known as the Swiss cheese plant, can be toxic to cats when ingested. The toxic components within the plant are insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause a variety of symptoms in felines. A cat experiencing philodendron toxicity may display signs such as:

  • Oral irritation
  • Pain and swelling of the mouth, tongue, and lips
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting (not applicable to horses)
  • Difficulty swallowing

If a cat has ingested a large number of the plant’s leaves, the drooling may turn to foaming and coughing.

Duration of Toxicity

The duration of toxicity after ingesting philodendron pertusum can vary, depending on several factors such as the cat’s size, overall health, and the amount of plant consumed. Generally, this plant has a mild to moderate toxicity level for cats. Most symptoms can be unpleasant and cause discomfort, but severe cases might lead to dehydration due to mouth soreness and gastrointestinal upsets. It is crucial to monitor your cat’s condition and seek veterinary assistance if necessary.

If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance, call the APCC at (888) 426-4435 or contact your local veterinarian as soon as possible. Timely intervention can help minimize the effects of philodendron pertusum toxicity on your cat and ensure a swift recovery.

Safety Precautions

When it comes to keeping our feline friends safe, it’s crucial to take measures to prevent them from consuming toxic plants like Philodendron Pertusum. In this section, we’ll discuss safety precautions you can implement at home to protect your cat from potential dangers.

Plant Placement

One of the most effective ways to keep your cat away from Philodendron Pertusum is to place the plant in an area that’s inaccessible to your pet. Consider these strategies:

  • Place the plant on high shelves or hanging planters that your cat can’t reach.
  • If possible, designate a separate room for your plants and keep the door closed to prevent your cat from entering.
  • Use deterrents like citrus scent or double-sided tape around the base of the plant to discourage your cat from approaching it.

Alternative Plants

If you’re unable to prevent your cat from accessing the Philodendron Pertusum or concerned about the risks, consider opting for alternative plants that are non-toxic to cats. Here are some suggestions:

  • Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum): Known for its long green leaves with white stripes, this plant is safe for cats and can endure a range of lighting conditions.
  • Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata): This lush, hanging fern is not only attractive but also non-toxic to cats, making it a great choice for feline-friendly homes.
  • Areca Palm (Dypsis lutescens): A popular air-purifying plant, the Areca Palm is safe for cats and can add a touch of elegance to your indoor decor.

By taking appropriate precautions and selecting pet-friendly plants, you can create a safe and harmonious environment for your cat and your greenery to coexist.

Treatment and First Aid

Immediate Steps

If you suspect your cat has ingested Philodendron Pertusum, it is crucial to take immediate steps to minimize any potential harm. Begin by gently flushing the affected area, such as the mouth or eyes, with clean, cold water to remove as much of the calcium oxalate material as possible. This can help alleviate some of the discomfort caused by the sharp-edged crystal-like chemicals in the plant.

Veterinary Care

After taking the initial steps at home, it is essential to seek professional help to ensure your cat’s safety. Bring your pet to a local veterinarian or emergency clinic as soon as possible. The clinical signs of Philodendron Pertusum toxicity in cats include oral irritation, pain and swelling of the mouth, tongue, and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

Upon arrival at the veterinary clinic, the professional staff will likely perform a thorough examination and may administer medications, such as pain relievers or anti-inflammatories, to alleviate any discomfort. In some cases, IV fluids or other supportive care measures may also be provided to ensure your cat remains hydrated and stable.

Most cats will recover completely within 12 to 24 hours after ingestion, provided they receive proper treatment and care. Once home, allow your cat to rest comfortably in a warm, stress-free environment to promote a speedy recovery.

It’s important to remember that prevention is key in protecting cats from Philodendron Pertusum poisoning. Be cautious about the plants you keep in your home and consider removing any potentially toxic ones, especially if your cat has a tendency to chew on foliage.

Helpful Video